Thursday, April 8, 2010

Falafel for Dinner!

Tonight I wasn't sure what to make for dinner, so I turned to my fat stack of vegan cookbooks to flip through for inspiration. Sometimes I discover recipes I never even knew I had! Tonight I found a pretty sweet recipe for Falafel from scratch! So I made wraps ^_^

The recipe is altered slightly from the Sonia's Falafels recipe found in The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer

You will need:
  • 1 15 oz. can chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans)
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 2 tbsp parsley
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup firm tofu (or 1/4 package)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  1. In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend until well mixed.
  2. Roll mixture with wet hands into balls/patties.
  3. In a medium frying pan, saute balls/patties on medium-high heat in oil until browned on all sides.
  4. Once brown on all sides, remove balls/patties from pan and place on paper towels or a brown paper bag to absorb some of the excess oil.
  5. Serve on tortillas. To prepare the tortilla: Place one tablespoon of hummus or Baba Ghannouj in the center of the tortilla and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Top with salad greens, grape tomatoes and finally with falafel balls/patties. Roll up and enjoy!

The original yield for this recipe was 10 large or 18 small balls/patties. I ended up with 12 patties, roughly 2 inches across, and half an inch thick.

If you give this one a try, feel free to share your experience!

Stay Spooky,
Gothcupcake

1 Comments:

Blogger Pili said...

Hmmm, they look yummy!
I might have to try that!

April 10, 2010 at 5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home