Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Tofurky Day!

So this is my first Thanksgiving away from home, and while I do miss my family, it is also the first time I am sharing the day with my (also vegan) boyfriend. So far things have not gone so great with our first dinner, but it will be a fun memory at least.

Firstly, we forgot to thaw the Tofurky the night before and had to use the frozen cooking directions (i.e. bake for THREE HOURS). Secondly we decided to try some unconventional veggies to go with our Tofurky and decided that summer squash and zucchini would be a nice change of pace, but they got shriveled and wrinkly in the oven and stuck to the pan. Thirdly I needed to bake my herb red potatoes for an hour and decided to put them in during the final hour for the Tofurky, but we got caught up watching Lord of the Rings and I didn't end up putting them in until the last 10 minutes of Tofurky... oops. However, I still think everything will turn out yummy. Scott already has a new batch of veggies cooking on the stove top and a batch of dinner rolls are in the oven while my potatoes finish.

Blueberries were ridiculously expensive and since we didn't feel like spending $32 to make one blueberry pie (I needed 6 cups of blueberries for the recipe!) we settled for some canned cherry pie filling and a vegan pie crust from whole foods. I can still make the crumble from scratch that I would have put atop the blueberry pie. haha

I spoke to my parents on the phone yesterday and they told me that their first Thanksgiving together wasn't the greatest. The place they were renting was being taken over by the original owners and they took the furniture from what was supposed to be my parents furnished apartment, so my parents had their first Thanksgiving dinner on a double level TV stand on the floor of their apartment.

So be thankful if not for a good dinner or a decent table, but for the people you have to share it with and the pie to follow :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home